One Mans Quest

I'm a fifty two year old guy who started going to the gym about four years ago in the hopes of reengineering my body mind and life. I've not really lost weight, but I have managed to get my body fat down to less than 10% which is surprising. I can't imagine a life without exercise now, but to stay focused it's necessary to constantly mix things up and make it challenging and fun. These blogs are some of the things I've learned- what has worked, what hasn't and some of the wacky ways I've found to stay fit. enjoy!

Disclaimer! please read!- I'm not a trainer, and certainly don't profess to be ay kind of expert, I'm writing about my personal experiences and highly recommend that if you want to try my routines, you consult a professional trainer.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Workout of the day

With all the different workouts out there, one begins to wonder which one is best for you. I've noticed that many have a theme and that theme is intensity. We've found that planning weight lifting routines ahead of time reduces rest time and increases intensity. Super setting routines also cuts down on time in the gym and keeps the metabolism fired up. With that in mind, I'll post here some routines that will target certain muscle groups and keep a good cardio going. Here's Thursdays- Tuesday was leg intensive and you'll see that the last set is a recovery set- the idea being that light weight helps reduce the acid and speeds recovery.



Abs and core:
Plank 90 seconds
Seated leg in and out 25 
Plank 90 seconds
Cruches on Swiss ball 50reps
Plank 60 seconds
Human flag 45 seconds each side
Trunk twists 
Side plank 45 seconds each side
Lying butt raises

Chest/lats: 
Benchpress- 1 warm up, then 3 sets 8-10 Superset with
            Incline pull up to bar (feet on the floor, bar at about 48")
Basketball push ups 3 sets Superset with 
            Pullups as many as you can, then staright to seated pull ups
Incline dumbbell press 3 sets 8-10 Superset with
            Standing wide grip pull downs arms outstretched 
Machine fly crossover past centerline (have to do this unilaterally) Superset with
            Cable flies from low pulley up to chin level

Legs recovery set:5 minutes
Squats in rack 50 reps

I'll post more here later

No comments:

Post a Comment