One Mans Quest

I'm a fifty two year old guy who started going to the gym about four years ago in the hopes of reengineering my body mind and life. I've not really lost weight, but I have managed to get my body fat down to less than 10% which is surprising. I can't imagine a life without exercise now, but to stay focused it's necessary to constantly mix things up and make it challenging and fun. These blogs are some of the things I've learned- what has worked, what hasn't and some of the wacky ways I've found to stay fit. enjoy!

Disclaimer! please read!- I'm not a trainer, and certainly don't profess to be ay kind of expert, I'm writing about my personal experiences and highly recommend that if you want to try my routines, you consult a professional trainer.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

How many reps and sets should I do

There is an old adage that more reps/less weight equals more fat loss and less reps/more weight equals muscle growth. While the former is true, there's some question about the latter; in fact studies have shown that using different rep ranges builds more muscle.

There's lots of routines that call for 5-8 reps, and many that call for 8-15. The correct answer though, is that both are right. In fact recently I've been varying my reps and I seem to be benefiting from changing it around. But here's what I do: I make sure to do about 25-30 reps total per routine. So if I'm doing 5 reps, I'll do 5 sets but if I'm doing 8 reps, I'll do 3 or 4 and so on.

Obviously if I'm doing more reps per set, I'm using a lighter weight than if I'm doing 5 reps. But one thing I try to focus on is not only the positive (lift) but also the negative (return). Especially on lighter weights, I'll lift quickly and forcefully, and then lower the weight slowly, focusing on the muscle in both directions.

For example If I'm doing a hammer curl, I'll literally imagine that I'm trying to hammer a nail in upside down in front of me  and push the weight accordingly. Then lowering the weight slowly, the muscle is still working on resistance, rather than letting the weight fall.

Try it- it makes a difference, and don't forget to have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment