One Mans Quest

I'm a fifty two year old guy who started going to the gym about four years ago in the hopes of reengineering my body mind and life. I've not really lost weight, but I have managed to get my body fat down to less than 10% which is surprising. I can't imagine a life without exercise now, but to stay focused it's necessary to constantly mix things up and make it challenging and fun. These blogs are some of the things I've learned- what has worked, what hasn't and some of the wacky ways I've found to stay fit. enjoy!

Disclaimer! please read!- I'm not a trainer, and certainly don't profess to be ay kind of expert, I'm writing about my personal experiences and highly recommend that if you want to try my routines, you consult a professional trainer.

Friday, June 3, 2011

A day off

Friday- This is one of the days I don't work -out, yet its just as important as the days I do. It's the day my muscles are sore and burning- when I know they're coming back stronger from the work I put them through the day before. (I can really feel that run from yesterday!).


Apparently, as you age your muscles need more time to recover. One of the things I was doing wrong when I first started working out was not giving them enough recovery time. For one thing, I was working every muscle every-time.


I've since learned that I was over-working my muscles and actually depleting them. Damaged muscle fibres require time to recover after each workout, so that they can repair and re-build in numbers. If you incorporate sufficient recovery time  into your program and your diet is feeding the nutrients your body requires, then muscle growth will happen.


Since I figured this out, I try to rotate work-out days to exercise different muscle groups but when I work that group I push really hard.For instance on my chest, I'll do 3 sets of single arm bench press, followed by a burn set, then  do three sets of single arm bench press fly's. Then I'll do the same two routines on an incline bench. Then cable fly's, dips and so on, till my chest feels like its on fire.
So today I'll relax! Tomorrow, I think I'll have another go at that Pike/rollout

1 comment:

  1. My goodness - that guy in the picture could be your twin!!

    ReplyDelete