One Mans Quest

I'm a fifty two year old guy who started going to the gym about four years ago in the hopes of reengineering my body mind and life. I've not really lost weight, but I have managed to get my body fat down to less than 10% which is surprising. I can't imagine a life without exercise now, but to stay focused it's necessary to constantly mix things up and make it challenging and fun. These blogs are some of the things I've learned- what has worked, what hasn't and some of the wacky ways I've found to stay fit. enjoy!

Disclaimer! please read!- I'm not a trainer, and certainly don't profess to be ay kind of expert, I'm writing about my personal experiences and highly recommend that if you want to try my routines, you consult a professional trainer.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Lose your gut with squats

Visceral fat - the fat around the organs that's killing us off with diabetes, heart disease and cancer is hard to get rid of. You can do sit-ups till your blue in the face, but working your biggest muscles, i.e. your legs will help burn that fat off. For this I like the squats and done properly you can feel it in your quads, hamstrings and abdominal muscles.

Squats can be done a number of ways; with a barbell, with dumbbells, in a Smith machine to name a few. The important thing is to do them correctly. You have to squat down far enough so that your thighs are parallel with the floor. Try putting a bench there and lower yourself down onto it- preferably, just till your butt touches it. Then stand up again pushing yourself through your heels. There is definitely a potential for injury if not done correctly, so ask a trainer to help you before you try it.

Some people scoff at using the Smith Machine for squats, but I use it because I put my feet way out in front and keep my back vertical and my head up. With squats I aim for higher reps and less weight at first, then after a few sets, I'll up the weight and do less reps. Also, I'll try not to rest too much between sets like I would with other routines. I'll often follow a few sets of squats with leg extensions making sure to incorporate a drop set in there somewhere.

One things for sure, if I've worked really hard it makes me walk funny for a while after and I know I'm making progress.





No comments:

Post a Comment