One Mans Quest

I'm a fifty two year old guy who started going to the gym about four years ago in the hopes of reengineering my body mind and life. I've not really lost weight, but I have managed to get my body fat down to less than 10% which is surprising. I can't imagine a life without exercise now, but to stay focused it's necessary to constantly mix things up and make it challenging and fun. These blogs are some of the things I've learned- what has worked, what hasn't and some of the wacky ways I've found to stay fit. enjoy!

Disclaimer! please read!- I'm not a trainer, and certainly don't profess to be ay kind of expert, I'm writing about my personal experiences and highly recommend that if you want to try my routines, you consult a professional trainer.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Strengthening the Core and Improving Posture

At 6'-6" I've always had a tendency to stoop. In the last ten years or so, that stoop has become more of a slouch. Since I've been working out, I've focused hard on posture and core strength, but still have a ways to go.

I work-out at the gym three days a week, and try to do core work on two of the off days, making a total of 5 work-out days a week. If I'm not splitting firewood or digging the garden that is. But even at the gym I try to incorporate core exercises with all of my sets.

Here's one of my favorite exercises to strengthen core, abs hips and back- you don't need a gym for this one:


Plank
Elbow Bridge Plank
  1. Start by lying face down on an exercise mat. Place your elbows and forearms underneath your chest.
  2. Prop yourself up to form a bridge using your toes and forearms.
  3. Keep your back straight and do not allow your hips to sag towards the ground (think plank of wood).
  4. Hold this position and focus on tightening your abs until you can no longer maintain a flat bridge. You can start with 10 seconds and work up to 3 minutes. if that becomes too easy, try elevating your feet on a stool!
  5. Remember to not let your hips and back sag. If you don't keep a straight line, it wont do much for you and you could injure your back

Side Plank:

side plank exercise
  1. Lie on your side with your right hand on an exercise mat. For beginners, you might want to begin this exercise on your elbow.
  2. Lift yourself up to form a plank with your right arm straight and your left arm on your side.
  3. Hold this position and focus on a straight line (plank of wood?) Repeat with the other side.
  4. Remember to keep your body in a straight line, tightening your abs and butt muscles. You might want to start in front of a mirror to learn the technique.


No comments:

Post a Comment